Michael graduated from St Catharine’s College, Cambridge with BEng in Chemical Engineering. He is an expert Mathematician and a keen tennis player. When not tutoring or playing tennis, I likes to travel around Europe.
TUTORING EXPERIENCE AND APPROACH
With Over 6 years and 1000+ hours of tuition experience, Michael has worked with a wide range of students with varying abilities. Successfully teaching students who require that little nudge of confidence, he encourages them to create as a form of learning. He has tutored students with Dyspraxia, Dyslexia and ADHD. Michael has had a good success rate in helping students win places at schools including: St Pauls’s, Winchester, Hampstead, Dulwich, Eton, Habs, Westminster and others.
Michael’s teaching style revolves around ensuring the enjoyability of Maths for the student. Dependent on learning profile, this could include working through proofs, puzzles, challenges or visual activities. He likes to prepare students for the absolute hardest thing that they may be asked, optimistic that this will build their confidence for the examination and independent learning. As a person who vividly recalls their schooling experience, He not only shares knowledge of the syllabus and exam strategy, but I also offers insight as a mentor.
KS1 – KS3
2018 – 2019 Head of Education, Tuition and Educational Consultancy company
- Worked closely with the Managing Director and Head of Recruitment to handpick tutors that were experienced, creative and engaging to meet the needs of clients.
- Worked closely with former Headmasters and Headmistresses of top London schools including Westminster Under, Dulwich Prep, Glendower Prep, Emmanuel School and others to provide guidance for parents and students considering entrance assessments and interview preparation from 7+ to 16+.
- Delivered tutor training, alongside former Headmistress of Eaton House, to familarise tutors with the expectations of the top tier independent schools in London including St Paul’s, Westminster, Winchester, Harrow and many more
- 7+ to 16+ specialist in Maths, English and Reasoning
2016 – 2018 Private Tutor, Private Tuition Company
- Worked as a Maths, English and Science tutor for 7+,11+, 13+
- Designed revision courses for classes of 10 students over the half term breaks
- Tutored students in Year 3 to year 9, on an ongoing basis, in line with the national curriculum
2016 – 2018 Research consultant, Private Tuition Company
- Adapted 100 years of psychological research on personality testing and cognitive function to apply in 1-to-1 tutoring
- Ran training seminars for tutors using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator
- Outcome: a full proof tutor training course to enhance engagement in teaching
2013 – 2018 Private Tutor, Private Tuition Company
- Worked as a Maths, English and Reasoning tutor in person and online
2012 Maths Teaching Assistant, Harris Academy Greenwich
- Creating and executing lesson plans to simplify complex ideas to year 7, 8 and 9 pupils
- Lessons graded ‘Outstanding’ by qualified Ofsted assessors
GCSE, A LEVEL, INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE
2014 – 2019 Private Tutor, Private Tuition Company
- Assisted 40+ students through long term and intensively tuition programmes to achieve their target grade
- Worked with GCSE and A level Maths, Science and Economics students of varying academic and tuition needs be it to boost subject confidence, progress from grade D to B or to ensure the attainment of an A or A*
2014 – 2018 Tutor and Admissions Consultant, Oxbridge Applications
- Worked as a Maths tutor and interviewer for A-level and IB students aiming to win admission into Oxbridge
- Prepared 40+ candidates for academic interviews at Oxbridge
- Mentored international students for admission into Oxbridge
- Outcome: 60% of my mentees received offers from Cambridge
2014 – 2018 Private Tutor and Researcher, Private Tuition Company
- Tutored and mentored students in low achieving sixth forms in South East London to help raise aspirations and maximise their exam performance
- Provided assistance with personal statements to A level and undergraduates applying for a UK Masters programme
2012 Maths Teaching assistant, Harris Academy Greenwich
- Creating and executing lesson plans to simplify Maths to year 10 and 11 pupils
- Ran revision courses for year 11’s sitting their GCSE examinations